When the Maby family settled in Tavel in the 19th century, their wine production was mainly intended for home consumption and a local clientele.
Auguste Maby was the first to actually make a living from wine making, in the early 20th century. Initially produced in the family home, the wine was sold throughout the region under the name of “Clos du Palai”, in reference to the location of the vineyards.
After the Second World War, Domaine Maby was officially launched by Armand Maby, who developed a modern, functional winery and acquired new plots of vines.
In 1946, the first bottles bearing the “Domaine Maby” label were produced.
In the 1960s, Armand was joined by his son Roger and his sons-in-law. The estate was further extended, onto the Tavel appellation and also the magnificent pebbled terroir of Lirac. From this point onwards, the estate’s vintages were widely distributed in France, Europe and the United States.
In 2005, Roger’s son Richard Maby, joined the estate. After fifteen years spent in finance, and driven by his love of wine and the very special potential of Lirac and Tavel, he brought new energy to the estate and a modern style to his wines.